Ultr@VNC - Forgotten Password Hint

December 15, 2004

 

I use Ultr@VNC to remotely manage a large number of machines. The other day, after putting one of the machines on the domain, Ultr@VNC would no longer accept my password (no, caps lock was not the issue). This was unfortunate since the machine is over 1000 miles away, was lacking the needed configuration changes to be operational, and there was no way the employees on site would be able to help me.

The solution? Remote registry editing. Since the machine was now on the domain, I opened regedit on my domain controller. From there, I connected to the problem machine's registry and navigated to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\ORL\WINVNC3\default. There is a string called "Password" with a Reg_Binary value. I opened this string on a properly configured machine and just typed that machine's value into the problem machine's password string. I restarted the WinVNC service using the "Computer Management" program and was able to connect using my correct password.

Another hint is that you can export this key to easily set up multiple installations of Ultr@VNC, or to quickly make changes to already deployed installs. Here's the link to the Registry values for Ultr@VNC server.

0 comments: